Ventura Wrongful Death Lawyer
Losing a loved one is one of the most devastating things that can happen to you. If you suspect that someone else’s negligence caused or contributed to the death of your loved one, your family may be eligible for financial compensation in Ventura. Although no amount of money will ever be enough to right this wrong, a settlement or jury verdict could help your family pay for funeral and burial costs and plan for the future.
At Rose, Klein & Marias, LLP, we care about our clients and are passionate about pursuing wrongful death claims in Ventura. While we can’t change what happened, we hope to make use of California’s laws to achieve some form of compensation for the anguish you are going through. Start with a free case consultation when you call (805) 642-7101.
Why Choose Rose, Klein & Marias, LLP for a Wrongful Death Case?
- Our Ventura personal injury attorneys have been representing clients for over 80 combined years. We know how to fight for the outcomes that our clients deserve.
- We have recovered over $5 billion in settlements and verdicts for our clients.
- You won’t owe your wrongful death lawyer in Ventura anything unless we succeed in bringing your family financial compensation. We operate on a contingency fee basis.
What Is Wrongful Death?
According to the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 377.60, a wrongful death claim is a cause of action for the death of a person when it is caused by the wrongful act or neglect of another person or party. This type of lawsuit can be pursued after an intentional or malicious act of wrongdoing, such as a crime (e.g., homicide). However, filing a wrongful death claim is also an option if the at-fault party (the defendant) did not mean to cause the victim’s death – meaning after a fatality caused by negligence or recklessness.
Types of Claims We Cover
Fatal accidents in Ventura can happen in a number of different circumstances. However, not all of them will give survivors the right to bring a lawsuit or obtain wrongful death compensation. At Rose, Klein & Marias, LLP, our lawyers will analyze your family’s circumstances to determine if you have grounds for a claim. We are proud to help clients with many different types of wrongful death cases, including:
- Bus accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Asbestos and mesothelioma claims
- Premises-related accidents
- Dog attacks
- Dangerous and defective products
To find out if we accept your type of wrongful death case, request a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys. We will listen to your story and ask questions about the circumstances of your loved one’s fatal injury or illness. Then, we will explain your rights and legal options according to California law. If we believe you have grounds to file this type of lawsuit, we may offer our representation during the legal process.
How Our Ventura Wrongful Death Attorney Can Help
Hiring a Ventura wrongful death lawyer can ease the burden from your shoulders during this difficult time. You and your family can grieve and focus on healing while your lawyer handles many tasks for you, including:
- Investigating the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s death.
- Collecting and preserving all available evidence of fault.
- Hiring qualified experts to strengthen your case.
- Advising you of your legal rights.
- Filing an insurance claim or wrongful death lawsuit on your behalf.
Trusting your wrongful death case to an experienced attorney in Ventura can increase your odds of success while decreasing the stress of a claim on your family.
Determining Fault in a Wrongful Death Case
Fault in a wrongful death case in California generally goes to the person or party that is most responsible for causing the deceased individual’s fatal injury or illness. An investigation may be necessary to identify the defendant(s). This will be the person whose negligent, reckless, malicious or intentional act or omission caused your loved one’s death. The majority of wrongful death claims in Ventura are based on the plaintiff’s legal theory of negligence.
Negligence is the failure to exercise a reasonable or appropriate amount of care. There are four components to a negligence claim: the defendant owed the deceased individual a duty of care, the defendant breached this duty of care, the breach of duty caused the fatal injury or illness, and surviving family members suffered compensable losses as a result. With clear and convincing evidence of these four elements, the surviving family members will be eligible for financial compensation from the defendant or the defendant’s insurance company.
Who Can Bring a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
In California, state law gives the right to bring a wrongful death lawsuit to specific family members or the personal representative of the decedent’s estate only. In certain circumstances, however, other types of dependents may qualify. To file a wrongful death claim, you must be a:
- Surviving spouse or domestic partner
- Surviving child or grandchild
- Surviving putative spouse, the child of the putative spouse, putative stepchildren or putative parents (if dependent on the decedent)
- Anyone else who was dependent on the decedent for at least 50 percent of their financial support and resided in the decedent’s home for the prior 180 days
- The personal representative, administrator or executor of the decedent’s estate
If you are not sure whether you are eligible to file a wrongful death claim after losing someone in your family, contact our attorneys for legal advice and more information about California’s related laws.
Wrongful Death Compensation in Ventura
California law also specifies the types of compensation that are available through a wrongful death legal action. Your Ventura wrongful death lawyer can help you pursue the following damages:
- Reasonable funeral and burial costs
- Medical expenses related to the fatal injury or illness
- Lost income and employment benefits
- Lost future inheritance
- Lost household services provided by the decedent
- Loss of consortium (love, companionship, support, advice, etc.)
It is impossible to put a dollar amount on the value of your loved one’s life. At Rose, Klein & Marias, LLP, we will fight for maximum financial compensation to help your family get through this difficult time.
Speak to a Ventura Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
We know you’re going through a devastating event in your life and are here to help during this difficult time. We can assess your case and let you know how we can help during a free case evaluation. We treat our clients like family – with respect and compassion through every part of the legal process. Please call (805) 642-7101 or contact us online to speak to a wrongful death attorney in Ventura today.