Ontario Slip and Fall Lawyer
A slip and fall accident in Ontario can lead to painful injuries, expensive medical bills and a complicated legal process. At Rose, Klein & Marias LLP, our slip and fall lawyers can guide you through filing a premises liability claim to seek fair financial compensation for your losses. We are a team of dedicated and experienced Ontario personal injury lawyers who will put you first. Contact us today to begin with a free case consultation.
Why We Are the Right Choice for This Case
- Our injury lawyers have been representing accident victims in California since 1936. We understand the nuances of California’s slip and fall injury laws.
- Our team of attorneys has collectively recovered more than $5 billion for our clients. We are prepared to go to court on your behalf, if necessary.
- We accept slip and fall cases in Ontario on a contingency fee basis. This means you will pay us $0 in attorney’s fees if we do not win your case.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Slip and Fall Attorney in Ontario?
If you are not sure whether or not to hire a slip and fall accident lawyer for your case, consider the many benefits that can come with legal representation. A lawyer can effectively navigate the legal complexities of your case while you rest, relax and focus on recovering.
A slip and fall lawyer can provide invaluable services during your case, such as:
- In-depth knowledge and legal experience in premises liability law.
- Comprehensive slip and fall accident investigation.
- Timely evidence preservation and collection.
- Efficient claims filing within California’s deadline.
- The ability to negotiate with an insurance claims adjuster.
- Representation during a personal injury trial, if necessary.
With an experienced attorney by your side, you can fight for the case results that you need for past and future estimated losses. Your lawyer can prevent an insurance company from taking advantage of you. At Rose, Klein & Marias LLP, you will not have to pay your attorney unless your slip and fall case results in a financial recovery.
California Slip and Fall Laws
Slip and fall cases fall under the practice area of premises liability. If a property owner, manager or supervisor is negligent in the care or maintenance of a premises, you may be entitled to financial compensation for a related slip and fall accident in Ontario. Negligence refers to the failure to act with reasonable care, resulting in injuries to others.
Proving a slip and fall case requires knowledge of California’s related laws:
- Property owner duty of care: in California, property owners have a legal obligation to act in a reasonable manner to ensure the safety of their premises for visitors. A breach of this duty of care can make the owner liable for a related slip and fall injury. The specific duties of care assigned to a property owner vary based on the type of visitor.
- Visitor classifications: the three types of visitors are invitees, licensees and trespassers. Invitees are owed the highest duty of care, requiring property owners to inspect a premises for hazards, repair discovered defects and warn of potential risks. Licensees are owed the same duties of care, minus the duty to inspect for hazards. Trespassers are generally not owed any duties of care.
- Proving negligence: a slip and fall victim has the burden of proof in a premises liability case. Negligence must be established based on a preponderance of the evidence, meaning the property owner is more likely to be responsible for the accident than not. Evidence to support a case may include photos and videos, an accident report, eyewitness accounts, and expert testimony.
It can be difficult to navigate the laws, statutes and regulations involved in a slip and fall accident case in Ontario on your own. Seeking fair compensation for your injuries from a property owner’s insurance company may require assistance from an experienced premises liability lawyer.
Common Slip and Fall Risks in Ontario
A property owner in Ontario has a legal responsibility to prevent foreseeable injury risks with proper premises care and maintenance. If any slip and fall accident risks are created by or ignored by a negligent property owner, it can result in grounds for a premises liability claim.
Common slip and fall risks include:
- Wet or slippery floors
- Oily, waxy or greasy floors
- Spilled food or beverages
- Uneven floor surfaces
- Cracked curbs or sidewalks
- Broken staircases
- Cluttered walkways or aisles
- Raised mats or loose carpeting
- Exposed cords or wires
- Lack of warning signs
- Inadequate lighting
Residential building owners have a responsibility to care for their homes and properties before entertaining social guests (licensees). Business owners owe an even greater duty of care to their customers (invitees). If a business or one of its employees falls short of their duties of care, the company can face slip and fall accident liability.
Compensation Available for a Slip and Fall Accident
After sustaining injuries in a slip and fall accident in Ontario, you may be faced with mounting medical bills and lost wages from being unable to return to work. While a settlement or judgment award cannot take back the pain and inconvenience of your accident, it could make it easier for you and your family to move forward.
The types of compensation that may be available include:
- Medical expenses: past and future health care costs, including surgeries, therapies, rehabilitation, medications and medical devices.
- Disability: ongoing medical care, disability accommodations, home or vehicle modifications, and lost earnings connected to a permanent disability.
- Lost wages: income lost from the inability to immediately return to work or lost future capacity to earn from a long-term disability.
- Pain and suffering: intangible losses, such as physical pain, emotional suffering, mental distress, post-traumatic stress disorder and lost enjoyment of life caused by the event.
Discuss the potential value of your slip and fall accident case with one of our attorneys before entering into settlement negotiations with an insurance company. Your case may be worth more than what an insurer initially offers you. Our lawyers will accurately determine the value of your claim to help you achieve the results that you deserve.
Request a Free Consultation With an Ontario Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident in Ontario or the surrounding area, contact the attorneys at Rose, Klein & Marias LLP for a free case consultation. We will listen to your story and offer personalized legal advice at no cost or obligation to hire us. Our attorneys are prepared to hold property and building owners accountable when their negligence results in injuries. Call us today at (909) 944-1711.